Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Marlene Dumas' new exhibition "Against theWall"


(The Wailing Wall)

(Mondoweiss posted this very interesting bit of news about Marlene Dumas' new exhibition "Against the Wall" at the David Zwirner gallery in New York, as he encourages everyone who can attend to show support)

-----------------
(My comment)Marlene Dumas, an Amsterdam based South-African artist, though not one of my favorites (who cares?), is a quite remarkable one. I had always found her images, especially the highly sexually charged ones, to be gratuitously confronting and esthetically unpleasant and lacking in sophistication, but I have to appreciate and admire how she had asserted herself as a distinctive and distinguished "voice". Not an easy task..Her following is immense, huge..This is ground breaking and sends a strong message: "Wake up people!"..
A side note..What makes the news even more interesting is that her agents, the famous Saatchi& Saatchi brothers are Zionists..Let's see how things are going to unfold now.

6 comments:

  1. <span>V 
    Richard Parker on Mondo is saying that it's a pity that hi-res images are not available on the internet. This is incorrect, but I can't post there to say it. I don't have an account. All one needs to do is to click on the link embedded in Philip's post 
    David Zwirner gallery 
    Can you just inform them of this possibility 
    Thanks</span>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your comment there.. Thanks for the hat tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your comment there.. Thanks for the hat tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I care about your opinion tgia. From what you've shown us of your own work you have a very fine discernment of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks DO. I haven't posted any art lately let alone my own but I may resume doing that. I donno.

    ReplyDelete