Friday, March 19, 2010

A'kkoub season hits Nablus



This post makes me feel very emotional. When I was a little boy, 6-7 years old, living in the South of Lebanon close to the borders with Israel, my grandmother and sometimes mum, used to take me with her and go to the fields to pick up A'kkoub, a plant which grows in the wild and which makes for a delicious meal..Mum, who passed away last year, used to cook it whenever it was the season.I used to love it but haven't eaten it for decades..Now, here I see those photos on Ma'an News Agency and as it seems, it developed as a produce available in markets which wasn't the case when I was little.. The caption:
"Palestinians sell Akoub at a market in the West Bank city of Nablus on 11 March 2010. Akoub, gundelia tournefortii, is a thistle that grows in the mountain regions of the Levant. The core of the thistle is fried and eaten with yoghurt after all the thorns are removed. In Palestine, it is eaten in the northern areas around Nablus.

13 comments:

  1. Is this the new Spring look, Tgia? Nice.

    The Ma'an News Agency link is not valid, according to the message I keep getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does it taste like? Artichoke hearts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Spring alright and a bit of change, I felt..
    The taste is like artichoke, true, but much stronger..We used to cook it differently than described in the caption. Rather boiled, oil and garlic added.
    I'll fix the link, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link fixed.,.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look!

    And I want to try some of these artichoke-like guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! Not Spring for the Southern Hemisphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Akkoub - The Challenge



    http://palestinian.ning.com/video/akkoub-the-challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. No difference vza..You wouldn't believe the weather we're having now..

    ReplyDelete
  9. <span>No difference vza..while Summer is supposed to be over we're seeing no difference..The temperatures are so mild and even high at times..
    </span>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a lot vza..I knew there should be more to ..I'll post this video later in the day..

    ReplyDelete
  11. <span>Thanks a lot vza..I knew there should be more to it than what I posted ..I'll post this video later in the day..</span>

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has turned into an industry now.  It is always amazing TGIA how memories become so vivid,  sometimes I can almost smell and taste certain memories - some good,  some bad.  This produce can probably involve all of memories senses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. <span> 
    <span><span>As I said in the post when I saw the photos and the word A'kkoub, it was like an incredible flash of memories that suddenly broke into my mind and left me stunned and tearful..The town we lived in, Marj'ayoun, our house, the school, the trips in company of my grandmum and mum, the friends I had, the incredibly beatuiful landscapes of the region, every thing in a fraction of a second..a rare experience..</span></span></span>

    ReplyDelete