Tuesday, July 2, 2013

US Bill of Rights under attack--on social networking!?


As a life-long activist, I’ve always assumed FBI surveillance of some kind, especially on telephone calls & political meetings. I don’t belong to any secret terrorist cabals (unlike the FBI) & haven’t anything to hide--which is a different thing from wanting privacy. But the internet & in particular the recent exposures about the NSA have hardened my attitude. Considerably.

My indignation began its turn for the worse when I researched on the internet & commercial ads would pop up from my specific city or I would get notice who among my Facebook (FB) friends had been there first. If I investigated something like the cost of moving vans or comparing insurance rates, ads from such companies would show up on my FB page. It meant there was secret stalking going on. Don’t ask me why that bothered me more than undercover agents taking notes at political meetings--but I think it was the invasion of privacy.

Recently I’ve noticed a little quirk in their surveillance system (this public notice will probably get it corrected) & I don’t believe I’m being paranoid. Do you know that distinctive little sound FB makes to alert you when someone comments on one of your posts? Well when I’m doing research or writing I frequently hear that sound--even though I am not on FB & their website is closed down. So my question is, just how up close & personal is their surveillance!? Are they looking over my shoulder?

It means 1984 has arrived & there are big ears & eyeballs everywhere. If you want privacy on the internet you have to get it on a public computer. The invasion of privacy is complete. I’m not sure it’s even possible to pee in private anymore. Those with Skype should beware--lest that hairy eyeball be a weirdo too. Which is likely!

I think this is deeply disturbing especially when it means they could easily shut down whole categories of crime like human trafficking but instead are monitoring political activists. It creeps me out; more importantly it outrages me because they can’t do much harm to me: I am already unable to foster children or find employment requiring security checks because the FBI falsely claimed on my criminal record I had used a weapon of mass destruction for attending a protest in 2001 against experimentation on live animals. But young people today are very seriously threatened by this complete invasion of privacy.

Defending the Bill of Rights means fighting for the Bill of Rights against all of the maneuvers of Obama, the Department of Justice, the FBI, & other agencies of the US government. We need to put our great big creative minds to addressing all the ways we can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment