Saturday, August 28, 2010

My interrogation at the U.S-Canada border

By Stefan Christoff

Stefan Christoff, who was detained at the Canada-U.S. border and questioned about his politics after the G20 Summit. Photo: Valerian Mazataud/www.focuszero.com

"Do you have family in the Middle East?" he inquired, offering one of the few surprising questions in the interrogation. In follow-up, a barrage of detailed questions focusing on the family names and geographical origins of my mother, my father and all my grandparents were presented.

A similarly absurd line of questioning was outlined at Israeli border in 2003 during my attempt to travel Palestine to work with the International Solidarity Movement, to participate in non-violent campaign of direct action against the Israeli military occupation, a border crossing effort that was unsuccessful. After hours of questions, Israeli military officials dragged me into a military bus, deported me to Jordan and barred me from travelling to Israel for a decade.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment