Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why do so many Diaspora Jews want to join the IDF?

"I can't say that I came here for Zionist or even Jewish reasons," said the paratrooper sitting next to me on Seder night last Monday. "I got into so much trouble back home, all I wanted to do was party. Running away from the police was what made me fit enough for combat service. I thought that coming here and doing army would help me get my shit together.
But what does it say about Israel when a growing number of young Jews abroad identify it today solely with the IDF. For them it seems that immigrating isn't about joining a society, with all its benefits and duties, but simply wearing a uniform and learning how to kill."

1 comment:

  1. All fugitive Jewish criminals can claim a safe haven in Israel (except poor Meyer Lansky). Bernie Madoff should have been a little quicker off the mark.

    ReplyDelete