Thursday, October 29, 2009

'The time that remains'


A review of this Palestinian film by the brilliant Elia Suleiman, here. I saw this movie yesterday as part of the Palestinian Film Festival in Sydney. I'm too exhausted to review or at least talk about it in other terms but that it's brilliant, extremely personal and highly sophisticated. Add this to the fact that I had with Elia a personal experience as we competed together without knowing for the same part to play a Palestinian, in a major French movie. Well, he won the part and not only because he's the real McCoy I should add, he's damn good. I'm not sure if this film is screened in the US or Europe but it's highly recommended. The subtlety of humor and irony is astounding given the bleak context of the story. Elia is a Palestinian of the interior (I can't bring myself to say an Israeli Arab by any means.)
P.S. The French movie we competed for never saw the light..I never knew exactly why.

1 comment:

  1. Suleiman's Divine Intervention was screened in the U.S.
    Siskel Film Center in Chicago, for example. I am sure this one will be, too.

    ReplyDelete