Friday, June 10, 2011

Land in occupied territories for sale for Americans and French.

Turning peace and justice into worthless commodities / Louis Frankenthaler
978mag 8 June -- It never ceases to amaze me how in everyday life seemingly innocent and benign artifacts actually indicate the insidious. For instance, the simple navigation of the streets of Jerusalem brings one in direct contact with an advert glaring down at you from the back of an Egged Bus (Egged recently won a lucrative public transport contract in Amsterdam). Drive through the settlement of Ma’aleh Adumim and see all the “for sale” signs posted by international real estate agencies. Occupied territory is up for sale while peace gets put on the auction block for the lowest bidder. Maybe the Americans will buy, maybe the French. What is clear is that there is a price tag on peace and justice and the only ones paying the exorbitant costs are Palestinians.
Read more

8 comments:

  1. TG, sorry this is off topic, but did you hear this singer before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_W574SBmY&feature=player_embedded#at=150
    What do you think of him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. <span>It's very beautiful, thank you. I checked him out but no information about him or his country. Do you know?  
    As for the lyrics, the first two verses are from a classic poem, forgot the name of the poet. Not the rest.
    </span>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you would like him. I can't get enough of this song. I think, but I'm not sure, that he is a Palestinian who lives in 1948 Palestine. This is why I think so:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMq4bf4pvw&feature=related
    As a sign of my bad education, I do remember the opening lines of this song as part of classical poem, but I can't recall the poet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he's a Palestinian from the Negev (Naqab). He also sings a very beautiful song, Rachel (Corrie) in English:


    http://www.youtube.com/v/rO-5qz21Uqg&feature" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="170" height="140
    As for the two verses, I found the poet<span><span> </span></span><span> الشريف قتاده</span>

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.darmm.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6866
    <span>
    الكثير من الناس لا يعرف قائل هذا البيت المحرف وقصته ، أما قائل البيت الأصلي فهو الشريف قتاده أبوعزيز بن ادريس بن مطاعن بن عبدالكريم بن موسى بن عيسى بن سليمان بن عبدالله أبى الكرم بن موسى الجون بن عبدالله بن حسن بن الحسن بن على بن أبى طالب رضى الله عنه وقد تولى أمارة مكه المكرمة عام 597 هـ وتوفي عام 617 هـ .</span>

    ReplyDelete
  6. <span><span>بلادى وأن هانت على عزيزة </span>
    <span>ولو أننى أعرى بها وأجوع </span>

    <span>ولى كف ضرغام أصول ببطشها </span>
    <span>وأشرى بها بين الورى وأبيع </span>

    <span>تظل ملوك الأرض تلثم ظهرها </span>
    <span>وفى بطنها للمجدبين ربيع </span>

    <span>أأجعلها تحت الثرى ثم أبتغى </span>
    <span>خلاصا لها ؟ أني اذن لوضيع </span>

    <span>وما أنا إلا المسك فى كل بلدة </span>
    <span>أضوع وأما عندكم فأضيع </span>
    </span>

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I told you before that I'm no artist, I only like what I like. I heard this song before, but I was not sure I should publicly make a note of it. Can someone sound as equally good in Arabic as in English? I loved the song, but I don't know if this is because of the voice of the singer or because of my admiration for Rachel.
    By the way, do you know if the lyrics are Rachel's words?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks TG for the info! Yet another proof of the beauty of the Arabic language...

    ReplyDelete