Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Suck it up, Ben; victory is short lived! From here it's the remainder section in the video store


Let me “man up” (could there be a more repugnant or dishonest term!?) & admit I watched the Oscars. Does that make me a bad person? Or just expose my banality? I love the gowns (so reminiscent of feudalism, high school proms, & my beauty queen days) but hate the phony posing; I cringe for the losers when cameras target their reactions & only wish I could laud the winners. But I hate treating art like a horse race. As much as I regret the Leni Riefenstahl category took home the prize this year, I also know that in video stores the least patronized section is the Oscar winning one. So much for ass-kissing your way to the top! As for Michelle Obama’s cameo appearance? It was a tip of the hat, a gesture of gratitude to those who make propaganda & call it art. But she was just “manning up” for US imperialism. This is Leni Affleck receiving his award. The road from here leads straight to hell.

(Photo by Robert Gauthier/LA Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment