Monday, July 19, 2010

49 cents a kilo!

At 49 cents a kilo of oranges hitting the stalls today in Sydney, I have no reason to complain but I'm wondering how much the grower/farmer would have been paid for it..How could he be making a living let alone a decent one..I wanted, out of curiosity, to ask the manager at the local fruit store where I purchased them but he was far too busy and I doubted he would be happy to discuss such a matter so I left it there..
Another thing..Bananas, a Queensland produce that has to be transported (fuel costs etc..), were around 60 cents a kilo everywhere last week...(they're at twice that price this week)

Mara?

4 comments:

  1. I heard a news item this morning that food prices are rocketing because the banks, freed from the albatross of sub-prime debt, are now speculating in food staples, grain etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prices rocket here more often than not too but every now and then some prices dive to a ridiculous level as the oranges and bananas nowadays..

    ReplyDelete