Sunday, December 8, 2013

“Al-Qaeda’s Governance Strategy in Raqqa,” by Chris Looney

  • The ar-Raqqa executions ~ Confirmation of the Islamic State in Iraq and as-Sham
    “Every 15 minutes someone poured water on me, electrocuted me, kicked me, and then walked out,” says one activist in an interview with CNN.
  • “They beat me with a rifle and with their hands when they arrested me,” says another in a conversation with BBC. “And they threw a wheel on my back so I couldn’t move.

    The ar-Raqqa executions ~ Confirmation of the
    Islamic State in Iraq and as-Sham
"Such is the situation in Raqqa, a city in northeastern Syria with approximately one million inhabitants now under control of the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), the most powerful Al Qaeda (AQ) affiliate currently operating in Syria.
Since ISIS came to power in May, its abuse of Raqqa’s citizens has been well documented. It has begun to enforce its extreme interpretation of Islam upon the city’s residents, forcing women to “cover their beauty,” banning tobacco products, and brutally repressing dissident voices."

No comments:

Post a Comment