Friday, January 28, 2011

'Something has changed in the Egyptian psyche '

The demonstrations this week against the Mubarak regime have gripped Egypt – while the world has looked on. We asked local bloggers and photographers for their frontline reports
Protesters on the streets of Cairo during the uprising in Egypt.

Protesters on the streets of Cairo during the uprising in Egypt this week.

'Arrests did not scare people, they made them angrier'

I got a Facebook invitation for the 25 January, "anger" day, at the same time I was covering the Tunisian revolution and how it was spreading so delicately, despite its violence, and without any Facebook event. When I checked the Facebook event page and saw what had been written by young Egyptians like me, I felt they were overestimating the situation: revolutions do not happen on Facebook or on a specific date. I thought it would be just another day of small protests downtown where protesters are harassed by the security forces as usual. But how wrong I was.

Read more-The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment